Sunday, July 20, 2008

The One Good Thing About Provo

It's no secret that Lauren and I don't really love living in Utah. Cultural/religious homogeneity leads to a social climate that we just don't care for all that much. Provo is a nice place to go to school and all, but we could never live here. There is, however, one thing about Provo that we just LOVE.

Provo is a sort of haven for people who've recently returned from missions around the world, and it caters to this unique demographic with a wide array of ethnic food. Do you miss the cooking of your converts and fellow Saints in Peru? We can help you there. Want some delicious Thai? We're saturated with Thai places. We even have four Indian places, including a buffet, situated in a building that used to be a 50's style diner (A former Winger's, for you locals).

Two of mine and Lauren's favorite places:

-India Palace, located at 1st West and Center. It's like the Bombay House, but cheaper. We go enough that the owners recognize us when we come. When Lauren graduated from BYU, we went there for dinner, and we got free chutney and samosas. I LOVE the Mulligatawny (Kramer's favorite soup from the Soup Nazi), the Chicken Saag, and the Peshwari Naan (a sweet naan with golden raisins and cashews baked into the dough, served with honey on top).

We went last night and shared a delicious Chicken Dhansak. This picture came from the Internet, not us, but it still illustrates the deliciousness.



When we don't want to try something new, there's always the Chicken Korma, Saag, Tikka Masala, or especially Makhani (also known as Butter Chicken). Come visit us in Provo, and we'll go here.

-Gloria's Little Italy, at 3rd South and 3rd East (in the same building and right next to the Thai Kitchen, formerly the Thai Pepper, formerly the Thai Chili Garden). An Italian restaurant owned and operated by Italian people. I've had three things there that have made me want to die, they were so good: pesto (freshly made, of course) with spaghetti, lasagna raqu (the sauce was the most delicious I've ever had), and most recently eggplant parmesan. The only problem Lauren and I have with this place is that she gets embarrassed being there with me because I often can't help but moan, "Mmmmm!", often quite loudly. They make their own gelato, and have a variety of fresh European pastries. My favorite place in Provo. Next time we go, I'll try to remember to take pictures before stuffing my face. If you're not in the mood for Indian, we'll go here instead.

16 comments:

Jessica said...

You must be related to Dave. He always MMM's when he eats food he likes, like the delicious China-A-Go-Go we ate this weekend. He can't help it. I think it is a reflex or in your gene pool or something. Lauren, my best advice is to get used to it. It hasn't changed after 7 years of marriage!

I can't wait to try the Italian place. I could eat pasta all day long and be happy!

snowbird said...

I'm up for going to BOTH of your favorites, because you know that I like them both also. The Indian place is devine. Can't wait to come visit you!!!!

Sparklebot said...

Four whole Indian restaurants! Six Thai!

I always thought Provo was culturally deficient, but now I can see that it has 10 whole choices for trendy ethnic foods!

Jessica said...

Jake, Have you tried the little korean place over on Freedom Blvd. by Shirley's? It too is delicious.

James said...

Good call on Gloria's and India Palace! We eat at India Palace regularly, especially their lunch buffet; our two year old really likes the chicken curry and tandoori chicken, strangely enough.

Any other recommendations? We're moving to Seattle in a couple weeks, so it's our last chance to try the local restaurants before heading off to the big city...

Jessica said...

James: I don't know you but I have a great recommendation once you are in Seattle. If you like fish, try Elliot's down on the pier. They are pretty pricey, but I have never had such good, fresh salmon as I have there.

JakieWakie said...

Jes- I haven't tried that place. I'd like to, but I don't know if I can convince Lauren to try Korean.

James- I know many people named James. Do I know you? If you like Thai, my wife and I like Spicy Thai (the word, "places" in the sentence, 'We're saturated with Thai places'). They have a few curries there that I haven't seen anywhere else. I LOVE the Salmon Lychee curry.

I hear that the Mexican place on University Ave. across the street from Bombay House and next to that Fortune Chinese place is good. I think it's called El Gallo Giro. I didn't mention it in this post, because I haven't been, but I hear it's good, inexpensive, and that a lot of Hispanics eat there (always a good sign for a Mexican place).

Do you like Greek? Try the Ultimate Broiler in Orem, on State Street and 3rd North. It's on the east side of the street. When they ask for rice or potatoes with your food, ask for a little of both.

Beautifull Southern Arizona said...

My favorite Provo restaurants I like Chaka rama for Buffet, But I got to tell you check out Tandoori Grill at 465 S University Ave, the food is excellent and great, I have eaten at India Palace where the food is just third grade, Bombay house is just tooooo costly. Tandoori Grill tastes even better then Bombay house the flavor is just differrent

JakieWakie said...

Arizona-- You like Chuck-Arama? I hate to be rude, but when I read that, it tells me instantly that I can't judge any of your advice on food, AT ALL.

Are you a real person? You have a lot of blogs, including some ridiculous post where you copied your above comment, word-for-word. They all kind of have the feel of writing done by a computer spammer.

Jessica said...

Jake: It is worth trying to convince her. If you get the delicious fire meat we love that I don't know how to spell. (Pulcogi, that is so wrong!) and the other I really like is Chop Chei and it is made from cellophane noodles which are definitely an acquired taste, but defenitely good. She doesn't have to try the Kim-chee but that is one of the best things! I also grew up eating it because of my dad, so I can see how she wouldn't like it. A lot of people won't touch the Kim-chee.

Denise said...

I'm one of those people who won't touch kim-chee (I'm also James' wife-- that's why I came here). Once, some of my coworkers took me out to that Korean restaurant on Center, over my protests. I still won't touch kim-chee, but beef Bulkogi is GREAT. Give it a shot!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Wow, are you getting BSA spam over here too? It seems like BSA has called in the cavalry; my original Tandoori post has sure attracted attention. Sorry for the spam traffic you're getting as a result.

James said...

Well, I decided to have some fun with the Tandoori spammers. I think this is an opportunity to let the our readers get creative:

http://janddstevenson.blogspot.com/2008/07/can-you-solve-mystery-of-tandoori-grill.html

Sparklebot said...

Why would Lauren not try Korean?

JakieWakie said...

She's just not that adventurous of an eater. It's unfamiliar to her, so she won't be dying to eat there. Still, I'll take her there, as soon as we have money.