Thursday, March 22, 2007

Smells Like...Teen Spirit? No, no, Old Spice!

You ever notice how important your sense of smell is?

As many of you already know, I suffer a mild case of hearing loss, thanks to years of shooting guns with my dad and brothers as a child, and thanks even more to 7 years of being in band in junior high and high school. Because of this loss in hearing, I'm pretty sure my sense of smell is enhanced.

The first time I realized my sense of smell was unusually strong was in the 11th grade. I was sitting next to a friend in German, and sighed with boredom. As I breathed in, I smelled a familiar smell.

"Zach, are you wearing Old Spice High Endurance Anti-Perspirant, Original Scent?" I had worn that deodorant about a year earlier, so I recognized the smell. Maybe I should've been a little more sly, and not launched right into the FULL name, but that's just the kind of man I am.


"WHAT?!" he replied, with a face containing some awful mix of confusion and terror. Most of the people I knew in high school thought I was gay, and this guy rated a little higher on the homophobia meter than most of the people I knew.


"I'm just asking. It's a good smell. I used to wear it myself", I assured him, trying to get him to calm down.

He never actually answered me. The conversation made him visibly uncomfortable, so I dropped it. A few months later, I found out from another friend in the class that I had indeed identified his deodorant, a smell he had JUST bought. I noticed it on the very first day he wore it.

Here I am now, six years later, and I've begun to use my sense of smell as a way to get to know people better. Lady-friends of mine who I'm especially close with hardly even flinch when I grab a piece of their hair, mid-conversation, and take a whiff, just to smell some of that vanilla or coconut-y goodness. In my dance class, I find myself recognizing smells of my myriad dance partners. There's one girl in there who I know for a fact wears Secret brand deodorant (I personally don't care much for that scent). Another wears a delicious citrus-smell, but she and I haven't reached the 'smell-your-hair-in-casual-conversation' level of friendship, so I can't tell if it's perfume, shampoo/conditioner, hair gel, or something else.

Personally, I find this funny, except that I catch myself using their personal scents as a means for discrimination: the "Secret" girl is a much better dancer, and isn't terrible-looking, but I find myself preferring to dance with the citrus girl, who is about equally good-looking, but probably a worse dancer. The girl who smells like she didn't shower before class is probably my last pick; meanwhile, the overweight girl who smells like coconut? "You wanna dance?" For the most part, I prefer a partner who smells good, rather than looks good, and I don't really care how well they dance.

Civil rights and discrimination-related issues are important to me in politics; I think it's morally wrong to judge someone by visual issues, like the color of their skin, how overweight they are, or how attractive they may be. Does the fact that I appear to discriminate based on another of my five senses make me just as bad?

6 comments:

JakieWakie said...

If you read this, please leave a comment.

Sparklebot said...

Weirdo.

Rin said...

I just read all about pheremones and men like you who are more attracted to smells in this month's Allure ;)

Sparklebot said...

Maybe if you want people to read your blog, you should write it more than once every two weeks. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I would say that I'm that tuned into smells, but I will say that guys that smell good are infinitely more attractive than those who don't. And besides, our sense of smell is supposed to be the one that's most closely tied to memory and recall.

Anonymous said...

I always know when I am about to seriously go off another one of my lovers .... simply because his natural mell becomes offensive to my nose. Is that bad, does that make me a weirdo. No probably something else that requires me to crawl home in a delightful shame lmao

Thanks for the blog - ded enjpy the read :D