Sunday, March 1, 2009

Carolina Born, Carolina Bred, Not Yet Carolina Dead

Two weeks ago, I went to Dallas, for an interview at UT-Southwestern. I loved the whole weekend. The weather was perfect, the campus was beautiful, and the science happening there was amazing. The weirdest thing I noticed there? In the morning, the air smells distinctly like barbecue. I'm completely serious. I wasn't there long enough to decide if I liked hickory-smoked morning air, but it was definitely a nice idea. The following Monday, I received a call from one of their admissions faculty letting me know that they had decided to make me an offer--- I got accepted. Not only was I excited that I was accepted there, I was relieved that even if no one else accepted me, I would still have a place to go to this spring and flee Utah.

This past weekend, I've been in Chapel Hill, interviewing at UNC. My feelings about the entire trip could probably best be summarized with this picture.


What a gorgeous place. The campus is even more beautiful than in Dallas. The weather is more moderate. The town is adorable. The research is more pertinent to my own interests. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my time there. They said that they will probably need a week or so to let us know their decision, and oh man, I'm already getting antsy.

So, in answer to the question I asked in my last post, love of Cheerwine clearly won out. Not much of a surprise there--- Cheerwine will always win out.

6 comments:

Chuck said...

Yeah, man, that's not even a question. Gotta go with NC. It's one of the most beautiful places in the world, and Texans are crazy.

Sparklebot said...

Cheerwine ALWAYS wins. If UNC lets you in, you HAVE to go there.

Anonymous said...

What she said. Please let us know as soon as you know. Texas sucks, by the way. Nice that you encountered some rare nice weather, but usually it's like the west coast of hell there. Plus, how could you live in the same state as George W. Bush? Previously, a similar question might have been asked about North Carolina: how could you live in the same state as Jesse Helms? But he died, Elizabeth Dole got her ass kicked, and N.C. went for Obama. The problem is solved. Unless, of course, they don't let you in. In that case, I think you'll have to work at KMart.

Whitney said...

You should go to NC. I agree that it's way better than Texas. Way way way better...

We loved your Daily Universe comment. It's so true, ha ha, but major publication just sounds so much better than dinky newspaper.

Anonymous said...

As a jazz lover, I believe you should check into the newest record by Rudresh Mahanthappa, called "Kinsman." It may make me a jazz lover.

JakieWakie said...

That comment makes it sound like you're a jazz lover. I'm surprised to see such a mistake from a grammar fiend like you.